NaCl Skin Absorption

Dear Radsafers:

An academic question for those with a biological bent.  Qualitatively
speaking, is NaCl deposited on the skin readily absorbed into the skin?  If
a person with NaCl on the skin is perspiring, does that process enhance NaCl
absorption?  Finally, if NaCl is absorbed, would finely distributed heavy
metals in contact with the NaCl be absorbed along with the NaCl?

It seems to me that Na ions from perspiration mixed with NaCl deposited on
the skin may be exchanged with Na ions within the interstitial fluid in the
skin.  I think this is more likely than if the NaCl on the skin is dry.
Also, my first impression is that heavy metals are not likely to penetrate
intact skin.  I would appreciate any constructive comments from parties with
more biokinetic knowledge than I have.
Mike Lewandowski
Westinghouse/WIPP      voice(505)234-8419
PO Box 2078, MS-145    mikelew@tis.eh.doe.gov
Carlsbad, NM  88221
This message has not been reviewed by my employer and is not endorsed by
Westinghouse Electric Corporation or the Department of Energy in any way.
Opinions expressed in this message are my own.