KI and "Research" accidents

  After reading the dialogue about KI and nuclear accidents, I have a
question about the use of KI after I-125 or I-131 biochemistry research
related accidents.  Many years ago during an experiment, I spilled several
hundred microcuries of I-125 (assumed 98% of it protein-bound) on my lap.  I
know the rules say stop immediately and wash everything, but those rules
were NOT written by someone who FINALLY got the four unstable proteins AND
cells to be alive on the same day! I therefore continued but had our dept.
chairman (an MD) run across the street, tell the ER what happened and bring
me KI as I continued the experiment.  I drank it down (sorry--have NO idea
what the dose was) within an hour and within 2 hours, managed to change
clothes and scrub. I don't remember ever checking my uptake.  But my badge
never registered a thing (except the time it got left in my mailbox in the sun).

Questions:
1. What is the recommended procedure now? If my student or tech has a
similar occurance, should we get KI as fast as possible? (I could ask our
RSO, but having the information in my head is a lot faster!)
2. Now that it's been about 16 years, is a thyroid test in order?
3. Was this an over reaction [previous chairmain still worries about it]?

Thanks
N. Esmon
esmonn@omrf.uokhsc.edu