Re: Gamma Radiography

At my old hospital,

Procurement indicated to me that licensing conditions had
been met (radiography was contracted through a separate
corporate operation that had its own RSO).

The radiography event was scheduled (normally had at least
one week's notice--drop in radiography was not a permitted
event at our hospital!) and the source(s) to be used was
carefully evaluated (usually 80 Ci of Ir-192 or so, for a
few jobs x-ray machines, no D-T generators--thank goodness).

Problems were largely confined to radiography events (e.g.,
looking from telephone cable penetrations through concrete)
that occurred near high traffic areas.  We would generally
check the plans to look for possible scattered radiation
problems to surrounding occupied spaces.  We also attempted
(and were generally successful) to have radiography done
after normal working hours to minimize inconvenience to
our customers.

The radiographers established the boundaries but at least
one of my radiation safety technicians monitored all accessible
areas near the posted boundaries (and on occassion provided
appropriate posting materials) throughout the operation and
ensured postings remained correct by periodically conducting
perimeter surveys.

I did not leave it up to the radiographers to monitor the
boundaries!  At that time, radiographers were somewhat
"loose" about posting and monitoring the environs and
it would have been (IMHO) excessive "risk" (a popular concept
on radsafe these days) to rely solely on their own cognizance.

Perhaps it is better now?

S.,

MikeG.

At 05:26 PM 10/17/96 -0500, you wrote:
>My question is intended for the RSO who has gamma radiography occurring
>at your facility.
>
>What do you do when the radiographers arrive?
>
>Do you ask them if you may see their license and then get back and tell
>them to notify you when their through?
>Do you get out your copy of 10 CFR 34 and/or state regulations and check
>them out line by line?  This slows them down and may cost you money.
>Do you participate in the zoning, do surveys and over see the whole
>operation?  The deeper you get involved the more liability you assume in
>the event of a boundary crossing and potential overexposure.
>If you from a nuclear power facility you have ample personnel to monitor
>radiography but when your radiation safety staff is  2-3 people, what do
>you do?  How involved do you get?
>
>Phillip Llewellyn
>plllewellyn@tva.com

Michael P. Grissom