Re: KI Inquiry -Reply

>James Mallon wrote:
>  We should remain aware of the conservatism of
>> this assumption and consider it before planning to stockpile KI for
>> distribution post accident.
>>
>> Just an opinion!
>
>Just so.  I have a feeling (no data yet) that the KI "thing" may be
>another ploy by the antis to create fear in the public and make costs go
>up for nuclear power some more.  The NRC philosophy has been proved by
>experience to be correct.  I (not you) is not released in significant
>quantities from American nuclear power plant accidents. I think this
>whole discussion is moot for the USA.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov
Al:
It may be moot for the US, but it could have prevented many , if not most,
of the over 1000 childhood thyroid cancers in the kids near Chernobyl, many
of whom got several Gy to the thyroid.  I grant that that was a different
accident than what we expect from our light water reactors.
mgoldman@ucdavis.edu