Re: KI Inquiry

At 13:10 18.10.1996 -0500, you wrote:

>I suspect in some cases they would, and then they would rush to get a shot
>of benadryl.  It may depend on the severity of their previous reactions to
>iodine.  There are some imaging studies in hospitals that use iodine prior
>to taking x-rays, and the patient is asked if he/she is allergic to iodine.
> If yes, they probably use something else.  I've seen my son with his eyes
>swollen nearly shut from eating shrimp when he was about 9 years old, and to
>this day, 29 years later, he cannot eat any kind of shellfish, including
>crawfish.  And THAT'S bad in south Louisiana.  <GRIN>  The ones who don't
>would probably get their bicycles out and start to pedal.
>
>CULater.....
>
>Bill
>bills@deq.state.la.us
> ----------
>Bill,

Isn't Benadryl something for a sore throut! When I had an x-ray of my spinal
cord, to find out about the reason, why my left foot was paralysed, I was
not asked about an allergy and only later I found out by inquiries that
"some iodine compound" was used. Never mind, after surgery and two years of
intensive physical therapy I was able to play basketball again.

What I really wonder, is the allergy you describe attributable to iodine? Or
isn't it something else? We Austrians are far away from any ocean, but
whenever we are in San Francisco, France, England etc. we take the chance to
eat shellfish. Never had any problems, even when the children were at the
age of 6.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7