From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: KI Inquiry
Date: Friday, October 18, 1996 12:23PM

     Can somebody on Radsafe explain why we use KI as a thyroid blocking
agent?  It is my understanding that the adverse reaction is to the
potassium, not the iodine.  Is this correct?  If so, why don't we use NaI?
I asume that there is a reason because the table salt makers use KI, too.
In other words, why don't we just grind up a few old gamma detector crystals
and feed them to people, or does the increased sodium intake increase the
risk of heart disease and stroke?
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine
EH&S Office