Re: Skyshine

     Capt. Montgomery,  There is a computer code called Microskyshine
     from Grove Engineering (who sells the shielding code Microshield)
     that will calculate the contribution to exposure from skyshine
     with various geometries and materials.  The last version I used
     was a DOS version copyright 1987, so there probably is a newer
     version.  The code was used occasionally, and once even validated
     to some extent by measurements with a real source and shields.
     I'd suggest contacting Grove Engr in Bethesda at (301) 258-2727
     to see if they still sell the code and have a newer version.  As
     far as a definition, you might describe skyshine as the radiation
     scattered off air (bounced) and therefore available for
     contribution behind a shield.  Believe it or not, skyshine can
     contribute quite an exposure.  Hope this little picture works:

                        Air

                    o         o

                 o      II         o
                        II