Subject: Uranium hair analysis?
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at internet-ext
Date:    10/21/96 12:02 PM

Dear radsafers:

I am looking at a laboratory report which purports to identify toxic elements
in individuals by analyzing the individuals' hair.  One of the items
identified is uranium.  I have seen these reports on a couple of other
occasions, and I am very concerned about the reliability and/or validity of
this analysis.  The paperwork I have does not describe the analytical method
used.  It reports only a parts per million number, and indicates (at least on
this report) that the uranium in this individual is well over two standard
deviations above the mean.  I am skeptical of the contents of this report,
but would like to hear others opinions before I discuss this with the lab.

Barbara L. Hamrick,
Los Angeles County Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com