Re: Cancers defined as "radiogenic diseases"

Dr. Kenneth Mossman had a very interesting lecture this past summer at the
1996 HPS Summer School, "Applications of New Technology: External
Dosimetry."  In Dr. Mossman's section of the textbook and in the lecture, he
mentioned several cancers that apparently could NOT be induced by radiation.
Note, he does not say low sensitivity, but NO sensitivity.  They are:
chronic lymphatic leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and cancers of the prostate,
uterus, cervix, testis, mesothelium, mesentary.  He also indicated with
humor (but I'm sure he was right) that whoever could identify the reason for
these tissues' apparent total lack of radiosensitivity could win a Nobel.

If Dr. Mossman is on this list, maybe he can expound a little.  And perhaps
he could lend a hand to the VA (not that I'm volunteering him).

At 11:23 PM 10/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
> The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has announced in the Federal
> Register (FR) a proposed rule that would define prostate and ANY other cancer
> as "radiogenic diseases". This would seem to set a precedent for future legal
> actions involving exposure to radiation. The text of the FR notice is included
> below. Any comments?

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Jefferson Lab, M.S. 12A1
12000 Jefferson Avenue