From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241
Date: Thursday, October 24, 1996 3:57PM

Susan,

Almost - just as it says, the General License (GL) is, itself, a
license.  It just has different requirements and doesn't require the
regulatory agency to issue you a license document (we won't talk
about the Texas General License Acknowledgement (GLA) program) to
possess the device.

The regulations do exempt the GL holder from many other regulatory
requirements (such as the licensing sections), but the material, in
and of itself, is not exempt.  The differences between Exempt, GL and
Specific Licensed material causes a lot of confustion and heartburn.

Wes

> Date sent:      Thu, 24 Oct 96 15:41:46 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Mcelrath Susan S." <MCELRATHS@rscpo1.wilm.ge.com>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

> 10CFR31.8 issues general licenses to possess Am-241 in certain
> devices. It does not establish an exempt quantity. (So I guess my smoke
> detectors are generally-licensed devices but I'm exempt from licensing???)
>
> Susan McElrath

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us