Re[4]: NRC Licensing of Am-241

     Thank you Eric (Eric Goldin) for forcing me to re-read the HP
     positions.  As was already pointed out these are not regulations but
     to take a different direction may cause considerable consternation at
     some risk, and plenty of time.  I will paraphrase my re-reading..

     Exempt quantities can be transferred to non-licensees provided it is
     not for waste disposal or for commercial distribution or if the
     reciepient intends to transfer for the same reason.  The NRC
     interprets commercial distribution as any means to introduce the
     material into the marketplace (regardless of the transfer of $$$).

     This seems to mean that I can transfer exempt quantities to
     fission/activation products to a university for research purposes.  Or
     take for instance a 1.2 microcurie (5 yrs ago) Co-60 source, this can
     also be donated to an institution provided it is not intended for
     commercial distribution or disposal.

     I recognize that allowing individuals to exit the RCA with exempt
     quantities may be considered a form of waste disposal, therefore, not
     allowed.

     Another interpretation is that sources requiring inventory
     (non-exempt) thru licensed conditions may become exempt by decay and
     therefore are not required to be included in the inventory once below
     the exempt quantity limit.

     This has been a valuable discussion, thank-you all for participating.

     Eric Darois
     Seabrook Station
     daroiel@naesco.com