Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

David Scherer wrote:

>  Also, if two people gave him the max. exempt quantities of the
> same nuclide (or you did it twice), he would no longer be exempt, and your
> transfer would not comply wth 30.41(b).

30.18 says any person is exempt ... to possess ... individual quantities each of
which does not exceed the exempt quantity limit.  There is no limit here or in
30.41 on the number of exempt quantities one may possess.

If the licensed material becomes an exempt quantity (by decay or by physically
splitting the source) then the person that possesses the exempt quantity material
no longer needs a license.  Then, the material is no longer licensed material.
As a result, part 20 does not apply.  And I can do anything I want to with it.
Ta DA, my waste disposal problems are over.

Somehow, I don't think that's how it works.

--
Kent Lambert, CHP
lambert@allegheny.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not [necessarily] the
opinions of my employer. - paraphrased from Michael Feldman