Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

Eric L. Darois wrote:

>      Wes
>
>      At one time that is what I believed.  However, If this were the case,
>      then we could establish our "free release" program to screen for
>      radioactivity levels that correspond to the exempt quantity limits (or
>      1/10th to be conservative and allow personnel to leave the RCA with
>      "less than exempt quantities" on thier person or belongings.
>
>      We (the nuclear power industry) have been specifically told by the NRC
>      that the release limits for contamination is zero (with reasonable
>      detection limits).  For liquids, the target (regulated) MDAs are
>      typically 1E-8 uCi/cc, 3 to four orders of magnitude below the exempt
>      concentration limits!!!
>
>      There have been many a landfill purchased because of contamination
>      from levels less that the exempt concentration and quantity limits.
>
>      Please help me understand !!!
>
>      Eric
>      Daroiel@naesco.com
>      603-474-9574, X3871
>
> snip......
>
> To repeat, any NRC specific licensee may transfer exempt quantities to
> ANYONE.
>
> If other Radsafers have a different opinion, please give references to
> the applicable 10 CFR section.
>
> Cheers, Wes Van Pelt

Eric and Fellow Radsafers,

The difference here, I believe, resides in the term TRANSFER. You
TRANSFER an exempt quantity to a person willing, presumably, to accept
it.  Inadvertent uncontrolled contamination on clothing is not really a
TRANSFER to another person.

There is a practical line between a purposful transfer to a willing
recipient for a good reason, and using the exempt quantity provision as
a cover for untoward release of radioactive material.

Cheers, Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.      vanpeltw@mail.idt.net