Exempt vs. Non-licensed ?

     I for one appreciate people taking the time to donate their
     professional (and even non-professional) opinions on this exempt Vs.
     non-exempt topic.  I have received various conflicting answers from
     both regulators and licensees over the years regarding several
     questions pertaining to this issue.

     So lets see if I have it down...From the majority of the past opinions
     it appears that the following statements are (or at least may be)
     correct:

     1. You can throw away smoke detectors as long as its in small
     quantities.

     2. Its not a good idea to combine large quantities of any exempt
     device.

     3. A licensee may transfer unlimited numbers of single exempt
     quantities to unlicensed persons as long as its not for disposal or
     commercial distribution

     4. Once a license is issued, the terms of that license and Part 20
     govern with respect to waste disposal for exempt and non-exempt
     sources.

     5. Exempt quantity and concentration limits cannot be used to release
     contaminated material or someone with internal or external
     contamination (this seems obvious).

     6. You need a license to distribute exempt sources for commercial
     distribution (and commercial distribution does not mean money has to
     change hands, but only that the source is introduced into the
     marketplace)

     Now, lets bring this one step further...

     Many licensees have specific requirements for inventory, storage, etc.
     regarding non-exempt sources that they receive under their license.  I
     have been told by regulators that once you receive a source under a
     license that all of the license requirements apply until the source is
     transferred or disposed.  Therefore, if a licensee received a
     non-exempt source that eventually decayed to less than its exempt
     quantity, the licensee would still have to inventory or control the
     source as his license dictates.

     Does anyone have a conflicting opinion on this.. especially NRC or
     agreement state regulators?.. Furthermore, if a non-exempt source
     (originally received under your license) decays to an activity less
     than its exempt quantity limit, is it O.K. for you to transfer it to
     an unlicensed person.  (I would think at a minimum you better maintain
     paperwork to show that it decayed below the appropriate level before
     you transferred it).

     Thanks in advance for your thoughts

     Jay Tarzia, CHP
     tarzijp@naesco.com