Re: Exempt vs. Non-licensed ?

Jay,
I don't believe #3 is quite complete.  As a broad scope radioactive
materials license you can transfer exempt quantities for instance in an oil
sample to an unlicensed lab for analysis, but you are required to have a
specific license to manufacture exempt sources for distribution.  If you
have a licensed source and it decays to an exempt quantity it was not
manufacturered as an exempt source         ( perhaps exempt sources are
manufactured with a more durable holder or insoluble chemical forms?).  Most
universities have a radioactive materials license and are glad to accept
small radioactive sources (providing they aren't leaking), so the question
becomes academic.  You can still get your pants sued off so discretion as to
who you transfer to needs to ( not the local children's nursery)  be ran
past your legal beagles who will want a ninety page waiver of liability that
will cost more than the source and disposal.

We also haven't covered the issue of transport to exempt sources.  I believe
there is an HP position paper discussing an NRC inspector getting on an
airplane with a briefcase containing exempt manufactured check sources, and
the guidance was that a statement stating that radioactive material in
exempt quantities and the lowest applicable DOT category be enclosed inside
the briefcase.  I also have a state inspector's statement that "exempt"
means exempt from DOT reg's also. I have no idea what EPA's position on all
this is.

When it is all ironed out it would be interesting to get all the regulators
to sign a summary of agreement so we can quit wasting megabucks on
relatively harmless issues and apply the savings to benefit society.

Good Luck,

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>