Subject: Re: Exempt vs. Non-licensed ?
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    10/29/96 11:57 AM

Jay,

Generally correct.  My few comments are included below:

> Date sent:      Tue, 29 Oct 96 08:30:39 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "James P. Tarzia" <tarzijp@naesco.com>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Exempt vs. Non-licensed ?

>      I for one appreciate people taking the time to donate their
>      professional (and even non-professional) opinions on this exempt Vs.
>      non-exempt topic.  I have received various conflicting answers from
>      both regulators and licensees over the years regarding several
>      questions pertaining to this issue.
>
>      So lets see if I have it down...From the majority of the past opinions
>      it appears that the following statements are (or at least may be)
>      correct:
>
>      1. You can throw away smoke detectors as long as its in small
>      quantities.
>
>      2. Its not a good idea to combine large quantities of any exempt
>      device.
>
>      3. A licensee may transfer unlimited numbers of single exempt
>      quantities to unlicensed persons as long as its not for disposal or
>      commercial distribution

This apparently differs depending on jurisdiction (see below).
However, (1) assuming exempt transfers are not prohibited by rule;
(2) the sources are transferred separately; and (3) the sources are
not combined, this is true.

>      4. Once a license is issued, the terms of that license and Part 20
>      govern with respect to waste disposal for exempt and non-exempt
>      sources.

Nope.  Exempt is exempt is exempt.  The source is not received under
the license, it is not disposed of under the license.

>      5. Exempt quantity and concentration limits cannot be used to release
>      contaminated material or someone with internal or external
>      contamination (this seems obvious).
>
>      6. You need a license to distribute exempt sources for commercial
>      distribution (and commercial distribution does not mean money has to
>      change hands, but only that the source is introduced into the
>      marketplace)
>

>      Now, lets bring this one step further...
>
>      Many licensees have specific requirements for inventory, storage, etc.
>      regarding non-exempt sources that they receive under their license.  I
>      have been told by regulators that once you receive a source under a
>      license that all of the license requirements apply until the source is
>      transferred or disposed.  Therefore, if a licensee received a
>      non-exempt source that eventually decayed to less than its exempt
>      quantity, the licensee would still have to inventory or control the
>      source as his license dictates.

This is correct.

>      Does anyone have a conflicting opinion on this.. especially NRC or
>      agreement state regulators?.. Furthermore, if a non-exempt source
>      (originally received under your license) decays to an activity less
>      than its exempt quantity limit, is it O.K. for you to transfer it to
>      an unlicensed person.  (I would think at a minimum you better maintain
>      paperwork to show that it decayed below the appropriate level before
>      you transferred it).

This is not necessarily true in Texas (our regulations are slightly
different than the NRC's).  I am attempting to resolve this issue "in
the near future" (e.g., weeks to months).

>      Thanks in advance for your thoughts
>

>      Jay Tarzia, CHP
>      tarzijp@naesco.com

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us