Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

Douglas Gossen wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, you are saying that I can have 5 check
> sources of Co-60 each containing .7uCi, because the the exempt quantity for
> Co-60 is 1 uCi.  If this is what you are saying you better clairify this
> with the NRC.  I recently had to sent a check source of Co-60 back to the
> supplier because another department in the college thought they could buy an
> exempt check source with no problem.  The problem was that it put us over
> the exempt quantity limit.  Until I add Co-60 to our licenses I had to sent
> the exept quantity back to the supplier.

Douglass, you did not have to send back the exempt Co-60 sources, even
though the NRC inspector may have said so.  To reiterate, a person in an
NRC regulated state may acquire any number of individual exempt
quantities without the need to obtain a license. There is no limit.

Did the NRC reference any NRC regulation???  It is quite clear in the
NRC regs that this is so.

Cheers, Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.      vanpeltw@mail.idt.net