Date:          Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:52:46 -0600
From:          Keith Brown <KDB1@nrc.gov>
Subject:       Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241 -Reply
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

As a somewhat off-subject note: devices that can be distributed under an
exempt distribution (specific) license may contain more that an exempt
quantity of material.  If one produced a gauge that contained a curie of
cesium-137, and if it could be shown that there was essentially no external
radiation and that the containment could not be breached, etc. by
tampering or otherwise for about a thousand years (30 half lives to let the
curie decay), it might be approved for exempt distribution.  (Obviously, this
scenario is unrealistic.)  In other words, for manufacturers who go through
safety analysis of products, it the safety analysis rather than the quantity
that determines ability to distribute as exempt.

Again, all the above are my opinions.  They may be worthwhile, or you
may get what you paid for.

Keith Brown
kdb1@nrc.gov

Lynn McGuire - ELMCGUIRE@LIFE.UAMS.EDU
Veterans Health Administration (VHA)
Little Rock AR
DISCLAIMER: Not speaking in any official capacity of VHA