Re: Radiation Safety Presentation for 4th graders

     Steve:

     Here is my general approach for 4th graders, but remember to only use
     exempt sources and/or devices.

     Terminal Objective:  To understand that radiation and radioactive
     material is part of our natural world and has beneficial uses.

     1. Explain atomic structure and radiaoactivity using simple terms and
     comparisons.

     2. Explain and demonstrate radiation using some consumer products.

     3. Discuss some consumer application of radiation and radioactive
     material (fiesta ware, luminescent dials, smoke detetcors, etc..).

     4. Set-up an air sample using a commercial air sampler or a vacuum
     cleaner w/paper towel attached with an elastic band.  Run for 10
     minutes in a basement or crawl space area.  Use a student to help
     set-up.

     5. While the sample is running, discuss protective clothing and
     devices for people that work with radiation/material.  If possible
     demonstate PCs, and ask if they want the teacher to dress-up (hood,
     gloves, shoe covers, etc..).  The purpose is to show that the PCs are
     not "radiation" clothes, just normal clothing with an awfull color so
     people won't try to take them home..Take a photo of the teacher.

     6. Demonstrate the radioactivity on the air sample using an alpha
     detector or pancake/end-window GM.  This is usually imrpessive if you
     have even moderate radon levels available.  If it does not provide an
     imrpessive response, explain that this is the process we use to
     measure radioactivity in air.

     Good Luck

     Eric Darois, CHP
     Daroiel@naesco.com