Re: NRC Licensing Conditions

10 CFR 30.34(e):

The Commission can incorporate conditions at any time to "(1) promote
the common defense and security; (2) protect health or to minimize
danger to life or property; (3) Protect restricted date; (4) require
reports and the keeping of records, and to provide for such
inspections of activities under the license as may be necessary to
appropriate to effecutate the purposes of the Act and regulations
thereunder"

NOTE: The use of license conditions also greatly aids the licensee
by speeding up the licensing process: otherwise, the licensee would
have to deal with round after round of letters to make the exact
committments the regulatory agency deems necessary.  Standard
Conditions make a lot of sense in streamlining the process.

Wes

> Date sent:      Thu, 31 Oct 96 11:07:10 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           Tad Blanchard <Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        NRC Licensing Conditions

> Hello RADSAFERs,
>
>         Thanks for the input about licensing of Americium-241.
>
>         I have another question that I need an answer for.
>
> Does the NRC have the authority to place a CONDITION on a license that is
> not directly supported by a specific Federal regulation?
>
> If so, what gives them the authority to do this?

> Tad  Blanchard              /__ \ /___\    NASA-Goddard Space Flt Ctr
> Nat'l Health Svc, Inc            O             Greenbelt, Maryland
> Sr Health Physics Tech          / \            Phone: 301-286-9157
>                                /___\           Fax:   301-286-1618
>                   Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us