Re: MDL and Dose Effects

Kim --

Interesting rediscovery of the wheel!!!  Brings back memories of my days as
a graduate student at Pitt under the tutelage of one of the unsung heroes of
our profession, the great Allen Brodsky.  Perhaps the definitive work on the
statistics of multiple film and single quarterly film was done by Allen
Brodsky and published in Health Physics 9:463 (1963).  As I recall, Brodsky
called for reporting of any dose, even below the so-called lower level of
detection, noting that the errors would tend to cancel out because of the
Law of Large Numbers.  There was a companion article in the same issue that
I coauthored with Allen that considered the effects of environmental
conditions.  This same problem has been considered in many epidemiologic
studies (eg such as those by Ethel Gilbert), and the National Research
Council report on film badge dosimetry in atmospheric testing of a few years
back even devised a way of getting around the problem of a lower dose
cutoff.  But Brodsky's prescient and three+ decade old statistical
evaluation (which can apply to other dosimeters as well) reigns supreme.
Tankersley, who I note is not a member of HPS and hence likely to be
unfamiliar with the literature, might profit by consulting the older
literature, or some of the comptetent HP talent at Oak Ridge.

Ron Kathren