Re: On-Site Transport of Radwaste

> Date:          Mon, 4 Nov 96 14:07:32 -0600
> From:          Mack Richard <MRICHARD@WPO.IUPUI.EDU>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       On-Site Transport of Radwaste

> Radsafers:
>
> Is it just me (and my staff) or doesn't it seem ridiculous that we must
> package, label, and manifest a container of radwaste to transport it
> less than a mile on our campus in the same way as if we were going to
> ship it across the country?  As I read it, that is exactly what 10 CFR
> 71 says and my friends at the NRC have verified same.
> Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

	Hmmm.  Just what is the dividing line  as far as transportation distance?

	If you have a filled drum of waste in the RS storage area and want to
	move it to the back of the storage area and bring up another empty drum,
	do you  have to do the paperwork shuffle on THAT move?  What if you
	are moving the drum across the hall? Up two floors?

	Is  not the dividing line not supposed to be distance, but the point at which
	control of the package transfers  from one person or group to another?
	I'd  fight it, but then I've seen worse interpretations from some over-
	zealous/naive administrators.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist       ___       "The only problem with being 'over
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___        the hill,' is that you tend to
Center for Radiation Therapy   |   |_) _    pick up speed on the downgrade!"
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    |  \ |_)   - Erik Von der Blauen
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697        |_)