Re: Urea Breath Test

Hi Eric,

At 09:41 AM 4.11.96 -0600, you wrote:
>I am looking for information concerning Urea Breath Tests used for the
>detection of H.pylori.  Specifically, I am interested in the Radiation
>Safety aspects of the test as suggested by the RSO of the using
>facility.

This technique uses 400 kBq (10 microCi) of C-14 per patient. The dosimetry,
as reported in the original description of the method (Marshall & Surveyor,
J Nucl Med, 1988; 29:11-16) in a patient who is positive for Helicobacter
pylori was 44 micro Gy to body fat, 180 microGy to bone, 6 microGy to lung
and 3.6 microGy to gonads.  In HP negative patients the bladder receives the
highest dose, approx 70 microGy.

Regards

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine