Re: Urea Breath Test

Eric,

The NRC has received a Petition for Rulemaking (PRM-35-12) on this
test to GL or Exempt the procedure.  Since it uses 1 uCi of C-14,
there shouldn't be a whole lot of radiation safety concern.  Unless
and until it does receive a GL or exemption, inventory and waste
would be the issues of concern.

NOTE: This is an "in vivo" test.  All other medical GL procedures are
      "in vitro".

Wes

> Date sent:      Mon, 4 Nov 96 09:41:28 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Eric A. Goldman" <ea.goldman@baylordallas.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Urea Breath Test

> I am looking for information concerning Urea Breath Tests used for the
> detection of H.pylori.  Specifically, I am interested in the Radiation
> Safety aspects of the test as suggested by the RSO of the using
> facility.
>
> --
> Eric A. Goldman, B.S., CNMT
> Baylor University Medical Center
> Dallas, Texas  75246
> (214) 820-3870 Voice
> (214) 818-8435 Fax
>
> mailto:ea.goldman@baylordallas.edu
> http://www.baylordallas.edu

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us