considering the relative exposures (occupational versus medical) and the
probability-of-causation argument.  But that may be a risk in itself.

Paul Ruhter   ruh@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 11/04/96 20:58

From: Byron McKavanagh
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: MDL and Dose Effects - opinionated response
>If you are receiving the chest x-ray in the course of your occupational
>exposure, then presumably you should wear the badge. If not, then you are
>adding a spurious datum to your cumulative occupational radiation exposure
>history.

This is the "correct" line & well expressed, also by Ron Kathren & W. Nabor.
But consider it from a personal point of view.
( I believe this to be a common response to people first wearing a badge.)

Is the badge there to protect me, or my employer?

At the time, I was concerned about low level doses, & I wanted to know what
they were, from whatever the source.  After 10 years experience, it is no
longer of concern.
But does it hurt to try to measure the dose received?
Ron's suggestion of a different dosimeter steps around the question neatly.
For the record, I asked the radiographer what the estimated dose might be,
& was dismissed as being "not enough to worry about!".   I can appreciate
that answer now, but not then.
And yes, it was part of a compulsory health check for the purpose of
becoming a radiation worker.

Let me pose the question then of a person who receives radiotherapy for an
inoperable tumour & recovers completely.
Can that person then resume work as a radiation worker, irrespective of the
medically acquired doses?
Isn't there an obvious risk to the employer there, that any subsequent
medical problems might be attributed to the occupational doses, not the
radiotherapy?

Cheers, Byron.