Re: MDL and Dose Effects - opinionated response

At 17:09 05.11.1996 -0600, you wrote:
>Good Day,
>
>Once again I appear to be missing something. If I wear my personal dosimeter
>to measure dose received as a consequence of my occupation, including annual
>company sponsored X-ray exams, that is occupational dose.  But if I get a
>dose from the same exam the day after downsizing, I should not measure this
>dose to my person.
>
>If there is truly a linear relationship down to, and perhaps below, zero
>dose; then dose be dose be dose and every little wavicle counts no matter
>which way it was going.
>
>Or is the occupational, not really personal, dosimeter merely to determine
>who to fine or who to sue. After all if you don't measure the medical dose,
>it can't be an overdose. Or as one other cynical collegue put it,
>occupational dose is bad dose, it causes cancer. Natural dose and medical
>dose is good dose.
>
>Or am I just too cynical?
>
>Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
>ragreen1@nwohio.com
>             OR
>ragreen1@aol.com

Regis,

Please do not be too cynical, some people at radsafe might not like it....

I do not know much about the US legislation, but in Europe exposure to
radiation adminstered because of medical reasons is exempted from the
consideration of occupational exposure. It is not because medical radiation
is good compared to occupational radiation, but because radiation adminsterd
during medical investigation is regarded as being beneficial insofar, that
it is used to detect illness and would help to restore the health of the
person involved. In other words, the medical exposure really is beneficial,
because it gives rise to curing illness. The philosophy seems to be that
occupationl exposure might be avoided and occupational exposure is not
beneficial for the individual. It might be beneficial when you consider the
money earned by a nuclear power plant.

This is a trial for explanation. It is not wholeheartedly my personal opinion.

Franz

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN