Re:

Sue,

Rowland (Director, Center for Human Radiobiology, Argonne) 1989, BIR, reports
that in 1261 female dial painters (discounting the 62 high-dose bone sarcoma
and nasal carinoma cases):

All-cause mortality:  obs=337  exp=382.3   SMR=0.88  (p<0.05)
All malignant neoplasms:    obs=94    exp=84.7   SMR=1.11
Buccal cavity and pharynx:   obs=1   exp=1.2    SMR=0.83
Note that:
All circ system disease:   obs=168   exp=222.6   SMR=0.75 (p<0.01)
All resp system disease:   obs=16   exp=16.5   SMR=0.91
All digestive system disease:   obs=9   exp=13.1   SMR=0.69