Re: Re[2]: CS-137 in animals

In the early 70's while setting up whole body counters in the heydey of
power reacotr construction, I remember initial runs at a site in south
Georgia exhibiting internal burdens of Cs-137, at first leading to suspicion
of leaky calibration sources or other malfunction, but eventually leading to
a revelation of a diet high in game after the subject's brother displayed a
similar level, and only a few additional sporadic occurences in other
subjects with similar ingestions.  They learned that we had a cesium belt
along with the bible belt, and later Stu Farber found out that "hot news"
was as apt to be related to the Cs-137 content in the newspaper from wood
pulp as from informational merit.

The net significance of the presence of this radionuclide, readily
observable due to its 30-year halflife and 662 keV gamma emission, may be
compared to a poisous plant of striking appearance, interesting to view and
exercise our senses, and relatively benign.

Bob Hearn
rah@america.net