Cs-137 in deer

Group:

I might also add that I've seen at least one Los Alamos study on elk around
LANL in comparison with elk in outlying areas of NM. In fact, some
activities were lower in the local herd (though statistically insignificant).

In my experience in analyzing samples (vegetation, dairy products, etc.)
from radiological environmental monitoring programs from various sites
around the country, I've noticed the same levels of Cs-137 are not found in
beef. Can anyone comment on why "browsers" might have a higher uptake of Cs
than "grazers"?

If my observations are correct, I would add a personal political comment:
As a hunter, and frequent consumer of game meat, I suggest the benefits of
a lean, higher Cs-137 diet far outweigh the risk of a high-fat,
high-cholesterol one.

Donald E. Dry
Nuclear & Radiochemistry, CST-11
Los Alamos National Laboratory         (505)667-4200
MS J514                                (505)665-4955 FAX
Los Alamos, NM 87545                   dry@lanl.gov