PCM-1B Sole Release Procedure

     To whom it may concern:

     I am a senior health physics technician at a D.O.E. facility in
     Washington State.  We are currently implementing a program using a
     Eberline Personnel contamination monitor (PCM-1b) as a sole and final
     release survey when exiting a contamination area.  I would like to ask
     you for some comments, but first let me give you some background on
     what we have here.

     We store highly radioactive waste in 177 underground storage tanks in
     areas known as farms.  These farms are fenced areas and have loose
     contamination on the ground and equipment up to 100,000 dpm/100cm2.
     Areas exceeding the 100K level are posted High contamination areas.
     We routinely perform entries into pits and install video cameras into
     these underground storage tanks.  Other work performed weekly are such
     things as pumping the radioactive liquids from the old leaking single
     shell tanks to the newer double shell tanks as well as other intrusive
     work.

     We have a "change"  trailer at the entrance to each farm.  This is the
     location that the worker dresses into Anti-contamination clothing (pc's)
     and enters and exits the farm.  The change trailer contains a PCM-1b.
     About half the trailer is posted and controlled as a Radiological Buffer
     Area (RBA).  The area posted as a RBA is considered to be a clean area.
     The PCM-1b is located inside the RBA about 10 to 15 feet from the step
     off pad coming out of the Contamination Area.  Workers exiting the
     contamination area and those entering will be using the same change
     area.  There are no personnel assigned as a control point at any exit.

     Now my question:

     How would your facility handle personnel exiting the contamination
     area?  Would you require a hand and foot survey before stepping into
     the RBA?  Would you simply undress out of your Anti-C's and then
     continue through the RBA to the PCM-1b without any type of survey?  Do
     you do a full self survey before moving on to the PCM-1b?  Or how would
     you handle this?

     I would appreciate any help or comments you may have.  Please feel
     free to E-Mail me or call me at (509)373-2731.

     Thank You,

     Glenn Williams
     Senior Health Physics Technician