Re: Volatility of S-35

> I have read in product guides of the need to open vials of S-35 in a fume hood
> and remember reading an article in HP (or somewhere) about a study that did
> urinalysis on lab workers who used S-35 and found detectable levels of S-35 in
> samples taken.
>
> Does anyone have information on this issue and/or does anyone have a bioassay
> program which looks for S-35.  I'd even be interested if anyone has done any air
> sampling in research labs for S-35.
>
> William A. Lorenzen
> Radiation Safety Officer
> Children's Hospital
> Boston, MA

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I've frequently used S-35 in my
research.  Personally, I would say that it depends entirely on the
chemical form.  I cannot imagine any volatility arising from NaSO4 or
H2SO4.  However, cysteine may decompose slightly to release H2S and
methionine may decompose to release CH3SH, both of which are
volatile. Even then, I can't imagine much of a problem unless the
material has not been properly stored or it is particularly hot.

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology    0  0
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences       __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638