Pros and Cons of Class II Laser Control

Happy Monday everyone.

I'm debating whether or not to control the use of Class II lasers. Back
in the good ol' days, there weren't many. But with the proliferation of
bar code readers, pointers, and alignment lasers, the job of maintaining
an accurate inventory is nearly impossible. The level of risk associated
with Class II lasers doesn't seem to justify the level of effort to
maintain a control program. I'm thinking limiting my control program to
Class III and IV lasers, of which we have at lease 170.

How do you handle these lasers? Do you control them/train operators? Any
and all opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/101      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer            Email: Don.Mercado@lmco.com
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space            Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611