Finding DU

I've been out of the office for a while so I may
be a little late in this reply.  Anyway here goes.
On one of my sites contaminated with EU we
used a pancake probe to detect the uranium.
What you are actually measuring it the beta off
of one of the daughters.  This beta has a better
range and easier to detect the low energy
gamma.  It was Po I think (75% sure).  It has an
~29 day half life so if the DU was refined over a
year ago you should be able to use this method.

Mark Winslow
US EPA Region II