NEW NRC MEDICAL REGULATION

NRC AMENDS MEDICAL REGULATIONS GOVERNING PATIENT RELEASE.  RULE TEXT
AVAILABLE.

	In October, 1996, the U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved a
final rule governing the release of patients after they have received
radioactive material for treatment or diagnostic purposes.  The new rule
should be published in the Federal Register in January, 1997, and must be
implemented 120 days after publication.

	Under the new 10 CFR 35.75, the licensee may authorize the release of  any
individual who has been administered radiopharmaceuticals or permanent
implants if the dose to any other individual from exposure to the released
patient  is not likely to exceed 5 millisieverts (0.5 rem).

	The significance of this rule is that certain patients receiving I-131 for
thyroid cancer or larger than normal quantities of I-131 for thyroid ablation
can be released sooner than under the existing regulation IF a
patient-specific calculation is performed to justify the release and a record
of the calculation is kept.

	My company is developing new software to perform the specified calculations
and automatically generate and maintain a record as required by the
regulation.

	If  you would like a copy of the text of the rule or information about our
software to implement the rule, please e-mail me at ASOLUTION8@AOL.COM.

Michael McGuire, Project Manager
Simplified Solutions Software, Inc.
1466 Chapin Street, NW. Suite 1