Re[2]: Russian space probe hysteria!

Subject: Re: Russian space probe hysteria!
From:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at mgdestmx01
Date:    20/11/96  10:55 AM

Hi Gang -

At the risk of beating this dead horse all the way into
Big Macs, how about this tidbit: Prime Minister Howard
of Australia........

The Prime Minister didn't actually tell us all to prepare for the worst. He did
hold a press conference informing the Australian Public of the potential danger,
but it was tempered and completely congruous with the real magnitude of the
risk, which was always very small.

The Australian Government did activate our federal emergency management
organisation which had in place a plan to deal with radioactive space debris.
Also, some military personnel were put on alert, just in case the probe landed
on our soil. There was no panic in the population. In fact, in typical
Australian style, most people thought it was a bit of a joke. A pub in one small
town started serving beer for free just in case they were all killed!!

PS. These are my words and not those of the Australian Commonwealth Government.

Regards

Alex Zapantis
Environmental Radiation Officer
Office of the Supervising Scientist       Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
40 Blackall Street                                 Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642
Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA                 Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
         Federal Environment Protection Agency