Radon Abatement

forwarded to radsafe, possibly someone in his area can give him some
assistance .

Date sent:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:59:14 -0500
Send reply to:  Association of Physical Plant Administrators
                <ERAPPA-L@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
From:           David Proctor <dproctor@eagle.lhup.edu>
Subject:        Radon Abatement
To:             Multiple recipients of list ERAPPA-L <ERAPPA-L@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>

        I am in middle of an unreasonable (in my opinion only) radon scare
and would appreciate learning of the experiences of others who have been
through this problem.  What I have is an office area where, with short
term testing, we have measure radon levels (EPA Protocol avg.) of 5.5 to
7.7.  I obviously need to do something to abate the levels back down below
the EPA recommendation of 4.0 but that is not the issue that is giving me
touble.  My major problem is that one of our professors, who has dealt
with radon in the past, is recommending that the area be evacuated because
of the levels measure and before any abatement is started or completed.
This appears to be an overly conservative opinion and would not be easy to
accomplish.  This also plays into the desires of the department housed in
the area....they have wanted to be moved for years and appear to be making
this a major issue for the University.

        What is reasonable to do with these levels of readings?  Is
evacuation of the area really needed before abatement is completed?  Any
help or direction anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

David B. Proctor, PE
Director of Facilities Management
        and Planning
Lock Haven University of PA