Re: HUMAN RADIATION EXPERIMENTS

To Bernard Cohen, thank you very much for the detailed explanation on
questions and comments I raised in my post regarding this topic. It
is very much appreciated.

I won't debate the draft. I won't even discuss the adequacy or
fairness of it. I wasn't drafted during the Viet Nam War, and was not
drafted due to my lottery number. The draft was and is legal, and
yes, the draftee had very few choices. Either serve, leave the
country or face jail. Granted, each soldier is not informed of each
mission and potential risks, but that can not be equated to informed
consent for medical tests. I think that is mixing apples and oranges.

Anyway, I have received enouggh information regarding this issue, and
thank all whom posted information regarding that era.

> for the tests. That too is the point. You had the opprotunity to
> weigh the risks and make that personal decision ... whether or not
> you wanted to participate. Nobody has the right to decide what
> should be done with your body, mind or soul.

--If you think your statement here applies to those drafted into the
army, you don't understand the draft or the army.

 That is the whole issue.
> It still has nothing to do with what is desired to be learned or how
> the information will be used, or whether or not there are risks or
> not. It all evolves around with truthfulness and allowing an
> individual to chose oto be or not to be part of an experiment.

--In what sense were draftees allowed to choose?

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306