Re: Eberline Alpha CAMs

At 03:43 PM 11/25/96 -0600, you wrote:
>     Howdy Radsafers,
>
>     Is anyone out there in Radsafe Land familiar with specific problems of
>     Eberline Alpha 5A CAMs?  One of my CAMs is apparently over-responding
>     to radon.  The effect of this is that the Pu counts are subtracted
>     from the strip chart, while the filter shows differently.  There was a
>     slight voltage shift observed in the CAM, when looking through the
>     calibration paperwork.  I need to know if anyone out there has had any
>     problems of this kind with these CAMs and, specifically, if anyone can
>     help me out.
>
>     Live long and prosper,
>
>     Robert A. Jones

Robert,

I've had some experience with those units, mostly troublesome.  I'm not sure
if same problems still exist with them, but my recollection is we found that
they were sensitive to environmental conditions - particularly heat and
humidity, and the surface barrier detector basically would loose it's
resolution after prolonged exposure to the ambient conditions we operated
them in.  Try Robert, 'Dee' Colvette, at:  robert.colvett@tva.gov (he knows
everything!).

Keith Welch
Newport News VA