Re: Pu-238 batteries

On Mon, 25 Nov 96 19:48:37 -0600 John DeLaHunt wrote:

> Who makes pacemaker batteries, and what is their composition?  Are they a
> doped ceramic or a more conventional metal layer design?

During the 1970's many companies produced nuclear powered pacemakers but there were regretably a
few incidents, usually described as 'explosions' and most have been explanted. To my knowledge, in
the UK, only one patient is still nuclear powered.

I cannot comment on the USA experience but here in the UK the main company was called  Devices
and the Pu-238 batteries were made by British Nuclear Fuels Limited at the Didcot plant. Records
were kept of all units produced and they should have been tracked for their lifetime and  returned to
BNFL for disposal. For information concerning design I suggest you contact them direct.

British Nuclear Fuels plc
Risley, Warrington Tel: 44-925-83-2502
Cheshire WA3 6AS Fax: 44-925-82-2711
United Kingdom Ver: 44-925-83-2369

http://em-50.em.doe.gov/et/UNITEDKI.HTM

In the USA a good bet would be  Medtronic or Coratomic (extinct I think)

Chris Jeffery
Senior Lecturer in Radiation Science
Canterbury Christ Church College

c.d.jeffery@cant.ac.uk