Re: Pu-238 batteries

John,

To the best of my knowledge, the US has not had problems with the 238Pu
batteries.  Monsanto Research was one the manufactures of these sources.
It is my understanding that many of these sources are still in patients and
working just fine.  For more information concerning the design of these
sources, you might want to call one of the following:

General Atomics:                 Chet Wisham  (619) 455-4171
ARCO:                            Michael McAnulty (231) 486-3641
Biocontrol Technology, Inc.:    Joseph Klingensmith (412) 349-9147

Sherry

>Who makes pacemaker batteries, and what is their composition?  Are they a
>doped ceramic or a more conventional metal layer design?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>John

>*John DeLaHunt, EHS & RSO * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
>*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
>*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
>*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
>*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
>****My opinions only, not those of Colorado College****

During the 1970's many companies produced nuclear powered pacemakers but
there were regretably a
few incidents, usually described as 'explosions' and most have been
explanted. To my knowledge, in
the UK, only one patient is still nuclear powered.

I cannot comment on the USA experience but here in the UK the main company
was called  Devices
and the Pu-238 batteries were made by British Nuclear Fuels Limited at the
Didcot plant. Records
were kept of all units produced and they should have been tracked for their
lifetime and  returned to
BNFL for disposal. For information concerning design I suggest you contact
them direct.

British Nuclear Fuels plc
Risley, Warrington Tel: 44-925-83-2502
Cheshire WA3 6AS Fax: 44-925-82-2711
United Kingdom Ver: 44-925-83-2369

http://em-50.em.doe.gov/et/UNITEDKI.HTM

In the USA a good bet would be  Medtronic or Coratomic (extinct I think)

Chris Jeffery
Senior Lecturer in Radiation Science
Canterbury Christ Church College

c.d.jeffery@cant.ac.uk

********************************
Sherry W. Jones
Los Alamos National Laboratory
P. O. Box 1663, MS E524
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone (505) 665-2712
Fax: (505) 665-8997
E-Mail: swjones@lanl.gov

IF PEOPLE FROM OUTER SPACE ARE REALLY WATCHING US, SHOULDN'T WE BE ABLE TO
HEAR THEM GIGGLING?