Re: Si-32

Silicon-32 is an interesting radioisotope.   It is a pure beta emitter with an E-max of
225 keV and half-life of 104 years.  It decays to P-32 (1.7 MeV e-max, 14.2 day T1/2).
I first encountered the Si-32/P-32 parent/progeny combination last year when perusing
the sealed source catalogue issued by Isotope Products Laboratories (a California
based company).  IPL manufactures sealed disc and planar standard radioisotope sources.
I purchased a Si-32/P-32 disc source to add to my lab's collection of calibrated
radioisotope sources.  I use these to determine the detection efficiency (counts/second
per disintegration) of all instruments used for contamination monitoring by our
teaching hospital nuclear medicine, radiopharmacy and biomedical research laboratories.

The Si-32/P-32 activity on the IPL disc source is covered with a 0.051 mm Al window,
which absorbs <60% of the Si-32 225 keV betas, and less than 5% of the P-32 1.7 MeV
emissions.  Voila - a constant known activity source of P-32, great for instrument
calibration. BTW, I inquired and IPL can provide planar sources of this isotope in
different configurations.  I don't know if this radioisotope is available from any
other vendor of calibrated sources.

How does your researcher propose to use the Si-32 radioisotope?   Does s/he really
require a long-lived source of 1.7 MeV beta emissions?  I'd be somewhat concerned if
this material was to be used as a tracer of some type - because storage/waste disposal
of this radioisotope with its 104 year half-life and high energy progeny beta emission
would be problematic.

I'm responding via rad-safe because I thought many of our RSO colleagues might be
interested in this radioisotope for instrument calibration purposes. I'm not aware it
has been used for other applications or of its availability.

Cheerio from the frozen Canadian northland (-29 C this morning).  Happy Thanksgiving to
my Yankee friends.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office 	phone 	(204) 787-2903
Health Sciences Centre		fax	(204) 787-1313
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   	e-mail  kgordon@cc.umanitoba.ca