Nuclear Reactor Fuel Rods are Radioactive Sealed Sources, -Reply

David Lee questioned the classsification of reactor fuel rods and other items as "sealed
sources."  At this point, I can only respond with another question, i.e.: what is the problem?

If, because of these definitions,  you are being hit with requirements that seem unreasonable,
get back to the NRC.  The NRC (only) is empowered to interpret its regulations.

If, on the other hand, this is a quibble about terminology in the regulations, I suggest dropping
the issue.  There are countless imperfections in the regulations.  This is inevitable as each
regulation is years in development and is revised many times by many people before
publication.  Then it may be on the books for decades.  If a regulation is seriously defective, it
seems appropriate to utilize the provisions for initiating a rule change.

Charlie Willis