re: Agreement State - NRC relationship

Mike,

Your comments are valid, but also somewhat in a vacuum.  The entire
discussion by the NRC avoids any mention of the services the
Agreement States provide for the NRC and NRC licensees.  For one
example, Texas and some other Agreement States bore a large portion
of the costs of the Juarez incident, even though importation of
radioactive material (and customs) is a Federal responsibility.   The
rule making arguments (e.g., A.S. licensees are getting the "benefit"
of the NRC rule-making process) are also extremely questionable.

Maybe someone should consider the possibility that we'd end up
spending more money on accounting than the actual cost of services?

Finally, the A.S. money is a small drop in the bucket compared to
other NRC costs, such as its international program.  The real problem
(in my opinion) is requiring licensees to bear the full brunt of the
regulatory program.  But with State and Federal legislatures are
trying to off-load as many costs out of General Revenue as possible,
I don't expect a turn for the better for some time.

Wes

> Date sent:      Wed, 27 Nov 96 08:59:26 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           MVala@USCCMAIL.uscc.bms.com
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        re: Agreement State - NRC relationship

>      I concur that the NRC provides valuable services to the Agreement
>      State programs.  I think it's about time that the Agreement States pay
>      for these services.  Since 1991, the NRC has been completely funded by
>      NRC licensees through annual fees.  As a result all these services to
>      Agreement States are subsidized by NRC licensees. According to the
>      NRC, the fees are commensurate with the time required to maintain your
>      licensed activities.  I see no reason why the NRC cannot charge the
>      Agreement States for the service they provide the same way they do
>      their licensees.
>
>      Just my opinion,
>

>      Happy Thanksgiving!
>
>      Mike Vala
>      Bristol-Myers Squibb
>      mvala@usccmail.bms.com

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us