Re: radioactive beads

     These peaks likely came from Uranium (without knowing more about the
     beads and glazes).  The lower energy peaks can be explained by the
     daughter of U-238, which is Th-234.  About a 4% chance for a 63 keV
     photon, and a 6% chance for a 92-93 keV photon (2 photons, 2.7% each).
      This may explain the lower energy peaks.  The "bump" at 165 kev could
     possibly be from the slight amount of U-235 found in natural uranium.
     This has a 54% chance of a 184 keV photon and a 10% chance of a 144
     keV photon, which may appear as a wide "bump" with an apparant peak at
     the 165 keV.  I assume this because you are likely calibrated with
     higher energy sources, and not with an x-ray or low energy gamma
     source.

     An interesting experiment would be X-ray fluorescence (one of my
     favorites).  This is a great non-destructive technique.  Though it
     will not tell you, to any degree of certainty, the quantity, it will
     give you a good idea of what is in the material.  If you have a
     doughnut shaped Co-60 source, put it on the detector (if it is a
     vertical detector).  Place one of the beads (or a bunch of them) in
     the middle (try not to allow any other metalics in this - like metal
     wire).  Then count away on the MCA.  Ignore the Co peaks, and observe
     the lower energy peaks.  Tell me what you find (besides the peaks
     previously mentioned).  This may tell you more, without destroying the
     beads.  This may also be wasted effort, so check the binding energies
     of the electrons for Uranium to see if the data would just interfere
     with the peaks already obtained (sorry, I don't have it on me).

     Good Luck,

     Robert A. Jones
     Health Physicist - PFP
     Hanford, WA