Thanksgiving, 1789

From:   IN%"jinks@u.washington.edu"  "Virginia McMillan" 27-NOV-1996
16:43:57.17 To:     IN%"consensus-l@eskimo.com"

CC:
Subj:   Thanksgiving, 1789

Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:56:04 -0800
From: Virginia McMillan <jinks@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Thanksgiving, 1789
To: consensus-l@eskimo.com

Conservative Consensus
Events * Analysis * Commentary * Forecasts * Readers' Opinions
http://www.eskimo.com/~ccnrs/news.html

NEWS FLASH * V2XC74 * 11.23.1996 * ISSN 1074-245X

(c)1996 by Conservative Consensus.  Copying information below.

            NATIONAL DAY OF THANKSGIVING PROCLAMATION
                        GEORGE WASHINGTON
                        OCTOBER 3RD, 1789

WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the
providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for
his benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor...

NOW, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the twenty-
sixth day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these
United States...

THAT we then may all unite unto him our sincere and humble thanks
for His kind care and protection of the people of this country
previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold
mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the
course and conclusion of the late war;

FOR the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we
have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in
which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of
government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the
national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious
liberty with which we are blessed...

AND also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our
prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations,
and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions,
to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to
perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually,
to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by
constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional
laws, discretely and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect
and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have
shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government,
peace, and concord, to promote the knowledge and practice of the
true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them
and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of
temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3rd of October,
A.D. 1789. -- George Washington
_________________________

ANALYSIS AND COMMENTARY: Thanksgiving day in the United States
commemorates the harvest of Plymouth Colony in 1621, following a
winter of great hardship.  Colonists and neighboring Indians
shared the first feast.

A national day of thanks was proclaimed by George Washington for
November 26, 1789 (text above).  Lincoln revived the custom in
1863.

IN 1941 Congress passed a joint resolution setting the holiday on
the fourth Thursday in November.

John Quincy Adams, writing some years after Washington's first
proclamation, said:

     Posterity -- you will never know how much it has cost my
     generation to preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make
     good use of it.

Happy Thanksgiving from Conservative Consensus.
=========================
COPYING: (c)1996 by Conservative Consensus.  All rights reserved.
Permission granted for PRIVATE, NON-COMMERCIAL USE, provided
nothing is changed and our headers and trailers remain intact.

GIFT IDEA: Everything you need for the most exciting, unique and
personal gift you can give that special someone is a printer and
your PC or Mac!  Visit the "Gifts" section of our Website.

FREE SUBSCRIPTION: Short on time?  Want the straight story, not
just the media spin?  Send email with SUBSCRIBE as the subject to:

                  CONSENSUS-L-REQUEST@eskimo.com

YOU WILL receive 12-15 news releases monthly, extracted from
Conservative Consensus Journal; no mail from other subscribers.
We cover events affecting:
                               ***
The US Constitution * US & World Security * Political Corruption
Individual Liberty * World Financial Markets * Religious Freedom
                               ***
VISIT OUR WEBSITE:  Get free, downloadable news releases that you
can copy and pass on to friends.  Frequent updates, back issues,
and reader comments.  All text!  Visit us with any browser.

              http://www.eskimo.com/~ccnrs/news.html

COMING RELEASES: Japan & Nuclear Weapons * Canada Hides Taxpayer-
funded Study * 150 Witnesses saw TWA 800 hit by Missile * Vast New
IRS Authority * Commerce Department Corruption * Art Contest:
Religious Liberty * Journalists: Literally in bed with the
government * Real Censorship goes Unreported * Citibank and
Private Money Laundering * Deadly Bacterial Infection in US blood
supply * Personal Protection: State doesn't have to care *
Education Column: Enviromania in the Textbooks * Book Review:
Handbook on Religious Liberty * Religion Column: Same-Sex
"Marriage"