Re: Information Request (radiation hormesis) -Reply

Bruce Busby responded very well to the request for information, but I do have one quibble.
There is the mistaken implication that hormesis is an unproven concept.  The truth of the
matter is that hormesis is proven beyound question.  It is beyond question that virtually every
material substance is harmful if taken in too large a dose; even water is toxic if one drinks too
much.

The other side of the coin is more interesting. While many harmful substances are beneficial if
taken in the proper doses under the right circumstances,  no one (so far as I know) contends
that this is true for everything.  Few people want to try a little AIDS virus, for example.  On the
other hand, the whole pharmaceutical industry is based on the beneficial effects of small
doses of dangerous substances.

Radiation hormesis is a complex subject for both technical and emotional reasons.  The
benefits of therapeutic doses are well established as are the ill effects of excessive doses.  It
is about doses in the intermediate and low ranges that the controversy rages.