waterborne radon

             Radon is a noble gas.  Except for unusual situations
          where clathrates are formed, it does not combine or form
          complexes with other chemicals.  The issue of solubility is
          relative.  Radon is soluble in liquids and solids (fatty
          tissues). For example, radon is more soluble in mineral oil
          than water.  It is soluble in water, but would prefer to be
          airborne.  That is why you do not find radon in surface
          water, altough you may find it in well water.  Radon can
          also emanate from radium in water distribution systems that
          have significant deposits of radium adsorbed to the pipe
          scale.  Nevertheless, if you have a glass of water sitting
          on a table with 1,000 pCi/L in the evening; you will be hard
          pressed to detect it in the morning.

          R. William Field
          University of Iowa

>>> schoenho@via.at 12/02/96 15:55 >>>