Non-rad issues in rad labs

Over the years I seen differing views on how HPs handle non-radiological
safety problems they encounter in radiological labs.  At one institution I
found that the rad safety staff were looking only for radiation safety
issues.  At another location the radiation safety staff were taking a more
holistic approach and were reporting non-rad issues they found (such as a
blocked safety shower or an unguarded pulley on a vacuum pump).

I am asking for your help. I would like to know:

1  What expectation does your facility have for rad safety staff to look
for non-rad safety issues?

2  How are non-rad safety issues found by rad safety staff "reported" or
"documented?"

3  Who receives the report (RSO, "safety," EH&S, the user, the department,
etc.)?

You can respond on radsafe or to my e-mail. I will summarize and post the
summary on radsafe.

Thank you for your help in this developing issue of radiation safety staff
expectations and training.

Paul Lavely
RSO - UC Berkeley
(510) 643-7976 Voice