RE: Non-rad issues in rad labs

Paul:

We have combined the radiation safety inspections with those required
under our Chemical Hygiene Plan. The only difference is that, whereas
the chemical labs only see us once a year, we inspect the rad labs every
three months. Even though we say we only do the full Chem Hygiene
inspection on the rad folks once a year, the same people do both types
of inspections and are trained to look for all safety hazards. I think
you would be setting yourself up if you had an inspector who noticed any
potential safety problem and didn't do anything about it. All inspection
reports go through the Manager of EHS (who is also the Chemical Hygiene
Coordinator), and/or the Assistant Manager (which is me, the Radiation
Safety Officer).

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming