RE: Non-rad issues in rad labs

Hello Paul-- long time no see.  Hope that all is well with you.

RE:  HP involvement with nonRad problems encountered during Rad activities

Have had the experience of working in both types of programs.  That is, in
one program, the Rad folks are responsible for identifying, correcting or
reporting all safety concerns encountered and in the other, they deal only
with Rad concerns.  In the first program, the corporate doctrine was that
all employees were responsible for safety and they truly implemented that
doctrine.  (The RPM reported to the same Safety VP as the separate
organization for Safety Programs.)  The safety concerns were reported to the
facility line management for correction and to the Safety program
organization for tracking, trending, reporting, and oversight.  This system,
to me was much preferable.

Experience with the type of organization that separated Rad from Safety has
been less positive due in part to a lack of corporate commitment that was
felt to the lowest levels of the organization.  The thought of anyone not
taking action on an apparent safety concern (be it reporting it to the
facility management, supervisor, or correcting it personally) because "it is
not my job" is very disconcerting.   In the radsafety organizations that I
have had the opportunity to control, it was always ( and always will be)
that if an individual finds a safety concern, it is the responsibility of
that individual to correct it immediately if possible or report it to the
individual with the authority and responsibility to correct the concern.
 The discovering individual cannot be allowed to ignore a safety concern:
they must take actions to correct it.

Eric Bickel
Manager, Department of Radiological and Safety Services
Brown and Root Environmental, Aiken SC
bbre069@barms036.b-r.com
Opinions expressed are just that --  opinions.  They do not represent B&RE
positions or policies.